About Our School
Arnage School stands on a slight rise in the northeast corner of Central Aberdeenshire, on the side road to Stuartfield 6 miles north of Ellon. It has magnificent views across the surrounding farming area, which it serves.
There has been a school at Arnage since 1879 when the oldest part of the building was opened. Various extensions were added in 1889, 1935 and 1969. An adjacent grass playing field was donated to the school by a generous landowner. The development of this in recent years as a play area and Environmental Studies resource has allowed us to take advantage of our rural location. The most recent development has been our polytunnel and recycled plant pots which won a Gold Award from the Formartine Beginning to Blossom judges.
The pupils come from a range of farming and commuting families, providing a large cultural mix in a small community school.
The school currently has 35 pupils in two classes – P1-4 and P5-7. The teaching staff have support from a Support for Learning teacher and an Educational Psychologist. A team of part time staff supports the life of the school: Administrator, Admin Support Assistant, 1 PSA, Janitor, Cleaner and Cook.
The Auchnagatt and District Pre-School Centre has been accommodated in a spare classroom since Easter 2001. It operates term-time and provides 35 hours of early learning education per week for 2-5 year olds.
The school has a supportive Parent Council which encourages the involvement of parents in the work of the school. Pupils are also involved in the work of the school and it’s improvement through the Pupil Council and various School Committees. Creating an ethos of achievement is central to what we do and we work hard to establish an environment in which all our pupils and staff are able to fulfil their potential and expectations.
The school is part of the Ellon Cluster and pupils transfer to Ellon Academy after P7.
In line with local authority guidelines the school is responsible for a devolved budget.
Arnage School Book Bags are available to purchase from the school office for £5 each.